Importance of Storytelling in Marketing a Destination
Travelers have endless choices when planning their next vacation. If you want to stand out from your competition, you need unique, creative content that draws in readers. Storytelling is a great tool for creating this kind of captivating marketing content. Learn how to integrate storytelling into your destination marketing efforts.
What Is Storytelling?
When you’re developing travel content, there are a lot of details you need to share. Potential visitors are looking for information about:
- Hotels and lodging
- Local transportation
- Area attractions
- Shopping and dining
- Kid-friendly activities
In the world of marketing, storytelling is the use of narratives to inform a reader about your destination in an interesting, engaging way. For example, instead of publishing a long list of area restaurants, you might write a story about a local food festival. Or you could interview a chef to develop a story about their restaurant. Of course, you don’t have to choose between creating a straightforward guide and developing storytelling content. The best marketing materials use both, highlighting personal narratives to complement the factual information about your destination.
The Basics of Storytelling Content
In the travel industry, storytelling is a valuable way to showcase what’s special about your destination. Like any good story, you want your content to answer the five Ws:
- Who: Make it personal by centering the people who make your destination unique, or tell the story of repeat visitors, such as a family who has an annual gathering at your destination.
- What: Choose topics that appeal to specific audiences. Think about who you want to reach, such as music lovers, outdoor adventurers, or foodies, and develop stories that match their interests.
- When: Think strategically about how to deploy your marketing content. For example, if you have a great story about an annual festival, promote this content when tickets first go on sale.
- Where: Once you have a great story, you can share it across multiple platforms. For example, try using your Facebook page to link to a blog post on your website.
- Why: This is the most important factor. Choose stories that highlight the one-of-a-kind travel experiences that visitors can expect from your destination.
Mediums for Storytelling Content
To reach a broader audience, you can use different marketing mediums. Some potential visitors want print materials, while others prefer the ease of social content.
Regular email blasts and newsletters are a great way to stay top of mind. You can use a simple email signup form on your website to stay in touch with prospective clients and encourage past visitors to come back. You can give recipients the option to customize their preferences, delivering stories that align with their interests. Plus, they’ll be less likely to unsubscribe if they can choose how often they want to receive messages.
Platforms like TikTok and Instagram are growing rapidly, and users are increasingly using social media as a search tool. Develop a dedicated social media content calendar to plan out ongoing content and help drive users to your website.
Your website needs to communicate a strong brand and be a central resource for all the information a potential traveler might need. Make sure the website is intuitive, easy to navigate, and responsible on both mobile and desktop.
Of course, you shouldn’t overlook traditional print media and materials. Advertorial content can be a great way to seamlessly integrate your marketing efforts into existing print outlets.
Partner with MassLive Media
Are you struggling to reach new audiences or develop fresh marketing content? The team at MassLive Media is here to help. With extensive experience in the tourism and travel industry, we can craft compelling stories and expand your reach. Our marketing capabilities include audience research and analysis, content development, and unique video tools like interactive 3D tours. MassLive Media works with a wide range of travel industry stakeholders, including:
- Destination marketing organizations (DMOs)
- Convention and visitors bureaus (CVBs)
- Tourism promotion agencies (TPAs)
With extensive experience in Massachusetts and across the country, MassLive Media excels at creating customized marketing solutions for tourism professionals. To learn more or schedule a consultation, contact us today.